Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: runing rich=hard on rings?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member civicboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2000
    Posts
    84
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    What would be the effect of running too rich at idle? Is it harder on rings (I read that somewhere - I think?). In the past, I had 270cc injectors installed on my JRSC'd 1.6 SOHC VTEC. I took them off because it idled really bad. This was before I had my f/p, e temp, boost and a/f meter. The car also had some other non SC related idle issues at the time. I am thinking about trying them again, but am wondering about the negatives. I know that I could get a fuel computer to lean out idle etc but need to know if I need to wait for it or not. Thanks

    ------------------
    95 Civic SOHC VTEC,JRSC,255HP fuel pump,RC 240cc,Split Second A/F meter,Greddy exhaust,Ground Controls,Tokico Illumina,rear ST swaybar,Nuespeed f&r upper bars,GAB lower f bar,f&r camber adjuster,Powerstop rotors w/ Porterfield pads

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Put the 270's in and back your baseline fuel pressure down a little bit. This will give you the same flow rates at a lower overall maxium pressure. This will improve your idle (over the last go-around) also.

    I am unaware of any real long-term detrimental effects from running "too rich"... other than poor fuel economy !!!


    ------------------



    '93 Civic Si H/B with B18C1, JRSC @ 8psi
    Best 1320: 12.68 at 110 mph

  3. #3
    Inactive Member civicboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2000
    Posts
    84
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    JRCivic, I did have a B&M fuel regulator mod on and tried to run a lower pressure. I couldn't get it to go below 38 psi with the screw backed all the way out. I ran some #s and thought that I wanted to be around 30-33 psi to idle well. Is that because of the fmu? Keep in mind that I have the 1.6 SOHC VTEC and we use lower stock fuel pressures than the 1.6.DOHC and 1.8's. Did I just have a "stiff" spring? Any other options that don't cost an arm & an leg?
    Thanks, Mike

    ------------------
    95 Civic SOHC VTEC,JRSC,255HP fuel pump,RC 240cc,Split Second A/F meter,Greddy exhaust,Ground Controls,Tokico Illumina,rear ST swaybar,Nuespeed f&r upper bars,GAB lower f bar,f&r camber adjuster,Powerstop rotors w/ Porterfield pads

  4. #4
    GSRMatt
    Guest GSRMatt's Avatar

    Post

    If you run very rich the gasoline washes down the cylinder walls removing a thin film of oil which protects the rings. Running very rich, especially at idle or cruise, is bad.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •